26.8.11

Corners of my Home: The Girls' Room

One of the things we liked about our new home was the room that would be our girls' bedroom. It was just perfect for them with two parts to it and a bathroom too. It is also light and airy with several windows. I've had fun making it cute for them. I am not a home decorator by any means, just making my house a home.

Looking into the room from the doorway. Carolin sleeps on the bottom and Deanna on top.

I bought the rug at Ikea. It likes to slip around the floor so I bought some anti-slip material to keep it in place. I just finished the window toppers the other day. I made them from the curtain that was hanging in front of their closet in our old place. As you can see, the centre panel is different than the outside panels. It's the way it had to be using the old curtain. Does it look funny, or is it a design feature? :-)

Closer up.

Looking toward the other section of the room. Kind of neat, isn't it? That's where Melissa sleeps and beyond that is the bathroom. The flower lamp is from Ikea too. The rug by Melissa's bed is from there too.

I love this picture. I bought it from A Little Sweetness. I just love her work. I bought some notecards from her too and intend to frame one of each to hang beside this one. The frame used to be brown. A coat of spray paint made it pink.

I decided to hang my quilt in here. I love it on the white wall. Melissa's bed needs some work. It has quite a few different coats of paint on it. Gord's Grandpa made this bed, along with another identical one, many years ago for Gord's sisters. We'd like to keep using this bed but I think it needs a good sanding and painting. One day.


The mirror and shelf were a garage sale find. The were white and got a coat of spray paint too. I love spray paint. It's so satisfying to make something ugly or worn into something beautiful with just a coat of spray paint.

And this wall hanging. I've shown it before, but here it is again.

So, that's the nearly completed girls room. The bathroom needs a paint job. Now that you've seen the room, what colour should I paint it?

7 comments:

  1. I would say a light lilac. I painted Penny's room a shade of lilac and I love it. It looks like it would be great with the other colors just make sure it isn't a greyish lilac but more a pink lilac or it will be dark. I love the window in their room and the two part design. What a cool bedroom! I bet they are thrilled. All the homemade quilts are lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Amy. I was going to say purple but wasn't sure what shade you should do. But a nice light lilac will compliment all the purples without trying to 'match' one particular shade.
    KarenK

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it, the curtain, the rugs, the QUILTS, etc. I have a hard time with picking out wall color, but the white looks nice (if it's white).

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO BEAUTIFUL!!!

    I like the lilac idea. Or, a nice light blue, like the sky in the Red Riding Hood picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very cute! I am looking forward to slowly, carefully, adn lovingly decorating my soon to be new home (I am still looking for one!) Thank you for teh inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I look at the bunk beds, I would have done a soft green or blue, but with the single bed and curtains I think a soft purple would be a good choice. Or just leave it white, nothing wrong with that, with your bedding and decor there is lots of colour in there.
    KG

    ReplyDelete