Uptown Girl for Carolin
I made a size 6 and then lengthened it by 1.5 inches on the sleeves and the bottom. Carolin is tall and slim so this should keep her in the coat a little longer. :-)
The other change I made to the coat was on the hood. I added elastic to the front of the hood so that it will actually stay on. It still isn't the greatest fit, so maybe next time I'll enlarge the hood itself. Here in Southwestern BC, it is nice to have a hood that actually works.
The outer fabric is something I've had on the shelf for several years. It was intended for another project that just didn't happen. It was great to use it! The inside fabric is from my local Fabricland. And the buttons were also in my stash,bought at the thrift store, a card with only two big buttons - perfect!
The pattern calls for the entire coat to be interfaced. Interfacing is expensive and I don't really love the way it looks in the finished project. So I used a thrifted sheet and interlined the whole thing. It worked very well and now the coat is quite a bit warmer too.
All in all a rewarding project. Carolin loves it and so do I. If you are a confident beginner I think you could tackle this project.
The photos were taken on the way home from church this past Sunday. I suggested to Gord that we stop by a field on the way home to take a few quick photos. Instead he drove right into the field. I'm glad the field was reasonably dry...