On the Grid Quilt

Or I could call it "Finally Finished" but then that would be the name for many of my quilts, so that would be boring.

This quilt started with a collection of blue fabrics.  From an online charm swap, another charm swap at my first ever quilt retreat five years ago, and other blue fabrics that found their way into my stash (like these freebies from Connecting Threads.)

I kept all my blues in a small rubbermaid container for a number of years and then last March I sent out 11 packages for my bee-mates to make me a 25-patch block and an optional 16-patch block.  I had an idea in mind of what I would do with them.  It was feeling good to use them up finally.

But, in reality my idea looked horrid and I stuffed all of the blocks back into the container where they sat for another 1.5 years.  So sad.  A couple of weeks ago I pulled out the container and decided that something would be done with those blocks.  I also made up my mind to spend no money on the project and use what I had on hand.  

I first made all of the 16-patch blocks larger, then made four more 25 patch blocks for a total of 24 blocks.  That's 600 squares of fabric.  I had slightly less than 1 yard of the red so squeaked out the sashing from that.  It's actually quite rewarding to limit yourself sometimes to make things work with what you have on hand.

I love the backing.  I bought it while visiting Suzanne earlier this year.  I think it was $3/metre or something.  I still have more of it.

This morning after walking 'our trail' by the river, my friend Jen and Zachary, of course, helped me get these photos.  Thanks Jen!

It's been beautiful weather the past couple of days.  When you live in our area (Fraser Valley, BC), a sunny November day is a bonus.  A whole week of sun is incredible!  We've been enjoying it!


Scrap Stacks by Melissa and Deanna

I am totally proud of my girls (9 & 10 yrs) for seeing this one through!  They started it in March Break and finished the top at the beginning of September.  I started by cutting out 4.5 x 8.5 inch bases from a thrifted sheet.  I gave them free reign on which scraps to use.  'Whatever you think looks good." is what I told them.  They cut strips, sewed them onto the bases, pressed them and added more strips.  I showed them how to sew the rows together (alternating directions).

I helped sew some of the rows together as it was getting heavy and some spots had a good number of layers to them!

I did the quilting and the binding.  They opted for rounded corners and I really like it!  This quilt will be a snuggling quilt in our family room.  It's approximately 44 x 52 inches.

It's a fun quilt for my kids to look at.  A different kind of I spy game when you are looking for scraps of many different things I have sewn for them and others over the years.  I see scraps from bibs, quilts, pajamas, dresses, curtains, shirts, skirts, bags, purses, and more!  A very fun finish for both the girls and I.

Have a good day - I am enjoying the sunshine streaming in through my windows!