19.9.09

Thrifty Threads #4

I've been wanting to try making a little girls dress from a man's shirt for a long time now (over a year!) and just never seemed to get around to it. I tried it last week and it turned out so cute. I used the same pattern as the last dresses I made but just lined the pieces up on the shirt so the buttons go down the front. Then I added a little applique to make it special :-)
I intended them to look like modern flowers but they look very much like balloons...The model :-) It's too big for now but should fit in the spring and summer next year. She is such a stinker!
Here are a couple links to some tutorial online that I'd like to try sometime too:
I really love this one and
The shirt dress

And I had to share with you my exciting finds this weekend. We have a great little second hand shop nearby and I found this beautiful periwinkle wool blanket for $4.50. I have ideas mulling in my mind of making a winter coat for my 6 year old...I also found this sheet in great condition that'll make a good quilt backing or... We'll see if anything else comes to mind.Thanks for looking!

2 comments:

  1. Suzanne, does the sheet match the blanket? You could almost use that as the lining. Wouldn't that be thrifty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to try making one of the dresses out of a man's shirt. Oh...the appliques look like modern flowers to me.

    ReplyDelete