3.4.14

Kitchen Sewing

I decided to sew a little something for myself.  I was in desperate need of  some new pot holders and oven mitts.  I pulled out my scraps to make these four pot holders (is that what they are actually called - it's what I've always called them?)  It was fun to play with scraps and my intention was to make the oven mitts from scraps too, but I got impatient and made them from two lovely fat quarters.


I know they look like place mats and yes, they are almost as large as place mats.  That is intentional.  When you make your own things you can make them how you like them, even if it's not the way it's usually done.  I almost never put a small pot or pan on the table and I wanted them large enough.  Besides I use them more for baking than anything else and baking pans aren't small either.  I've been using them for a couple of weeks and I love them.


They are batted with two layers of insul-brite.  I like how the quilting puffs up with the extra layer.  Backing is a light cotton twill repurposed from an old skirt of mine.




And in use.  With a small pan on top. :-)  If it had a large pan you wouldn't be able to see it, would you?


And then my matching but not matching oven mitts.  I love them!



8 comments:

  1. these are gorgeous.....i love quilts for utility purposes but i would be so afraid of getting them dirty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute! The patchwork is simple but very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them all! Now you've really made me want to make some! :) Did you use a pattern for the oven mitts or trace what you had? How many layers?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alisa, these are all awesome!!! I love the poofy look with the layers of insulbrite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE your oven mitts? Will you sell them to me?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all the pieces! And you've inspired me to try making some onder-setters. (That's what we call them here ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmm, I call them either trivets or pot holders. Your potholders are very pretty! I often get tomato sauce on my mitts...it'll blend right in with your red mitt...bonus!
    I was wondering what your huge crisp black background was....obviously I don't have one of those at home, lol:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the pot holders and oven mitts! They look great.:) Did you use a pattern or tutorial or make it up as you went?

    ReplyDelete